Saturday, January 18, 2003

Circular No 63




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. Caracas, 18 of January 2003. Circular No. 63
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to continue in the circular's mailing list or if you know any old boy that you would like to include.

And now here is the article that Jerry Bain has posted in his web page, and his comments:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The education of a Trini"

It all started at Miss Smith's private School on Charles St. in Port of Spain at the tender age of four. From then it was on to Miss Sylvester's in Diego Martin and then Mr. Roberts in Woodbrook. Then I hit the big time, it was up to The Abbey School at Mt. St. Benedict with fellas like Robert Elias (Mighty Trini), Leon Alves, the Serrano Brothers (Small World 1 and 2) and the best track and field coach at the time, P.G. Wilson.

After four years at "The Prison on the Hill", as we called it, I was transferred to Fatima College to finish my schooling. Now, that was memories, liming by Mr. Williams' Palour, fellas like Peter Geoffrey, Denis Niles, Garth Wills, Heyden Duprey (our goalie) and of course, that was the year we 'drafted' Everad Cummings to play "intercol" for us. After completing three years at Fatima, I had to put in my "free labour" at the family owned business on Edward Street. This is where I learnt what hard work is all about. We had a great bunch of electricians there, Desmond St. Hill, Glen Loney to name a few. Next door was Russ Archer Photo Studio.

Right across the road was Carl Baker, the tailor, and next door lived "the Taylors" who were bakers.... What a MIXED UP WORLD! Anyway, the old man decided to send me off to Canada to study electronics, just about three months after becoming engaged (Surprise !!!) you could see that coming. So it was two years at Radio College of Canada where I learnt how to repair televisions with tubes in it ! I'm still living in Canada now, still trying to figure what happened to all the tubes?

'Special Memories'
The guys I used to race with at Wallerfield on Sundays... Pernell "PeeWee" Welsh, Sidney Manhim, Silborn Clarke, Michael Munes, Ralph Thom, "Eggie" Gonzales to name a few. My liming buddies, Louis Hurdle, "Patches", Derick and Alan Viera, "Doodie" from Maracas. Ellingtonn "Jiggs" Griffith, Carlton Ahyee, Errol Rennie, Andre Penco. If any of you guys are still out there, DROP ME A LINE ! SPECIAL THANKS to my wife, Debbie, my two beautiful daughters, Alannah and Jenna and my son Jason.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Jerry Bain" <jerry.bain@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:21:53 -0500

Hi guys,

Well, what a lovely surprise to open my e mail and find a picture of myself in your archives ( Class of 1966, third on the right of Mr Tyrell, back row ). I'm Jerry Bain, # 80 ( it would really be nice to know how many people remember their numbers). My fondest memory of the Mount, was trying not to get a green soft drink after school, that special toast bread we had at breakfast, a teacher we called "Toots", the Serrano brothers, (Small World 1 & 2), remember "Box head" ?

I think I had one of the best teachers of the time, Mr. Ernie Tyrell, you know, I can still sign his initials. I also remember that mango tree that used to look like a Christmas tree at night from all the cigarette smokers in the tree. And Joan who worked in the kitchen (smile), the "siphon" gang. St. Francis short pants with a white long sleeve shirt, (collar had to be up, shirt open 3 buttons).

I've been living in Canada for the last 30 years now, married to Debbie, 2 daughters and a son. As a matter of fact, those interested can check out my web site, just enter " Trinidad and Tobago in Canada" (preferably on Yahoo) and there you'll get the rest of the story.

Anyone know the whereabouts of Herman Vercrissen #77 (Aruba), Cornel De Freitas, David Narine, Leon Alves or Bobby Wharton ? Drop me a line if you're still out there guys.
Regards to all,
Jerry Bain.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
From the above I perceive that a good number of the guys mentioned were from Fatima but some were from MSB. I included this resume as I am sure that some of you must have been in the same class as Brian, either at MSB or at Fatima. Please give me a line if you know Bain and those that he mentions. I have enclosed a photo so that you may recognize him when in Canada!!!.

<<<<<<COMMENCEMENT WEEK AT SCHOOL:

This was a rough week for all the new comers; remember that school year started in January in our times. ( I believe that this was changed to September in 1963). We were given the books, notebooks etc. from the Bursar and the classroom assignment.

The first reunion was in the Study Hall, Form I classroom, where we were assigned our desks for the whole year. Form I was in front and then came Form II and so on to From V at the back. This is where we kept the books and all our study material, etc. Seating assignment was according to a list prepared by the authorities (knowledgeable priests) with the idea of controlling the kids.

But in our individual classrooms there was no pre assigned listing, so everyone stalked out the DESK!!! The window seat. The seat close to the door, the seat at the rear, until our teachers called for students to occupy the empty front row, which was usually empty during the first day or class of the year. Those front seats being important to a special group while the back seats belonged to the more leisure group, that were not too keen to be in the sight of the teacher, in the middle were the rest or because there were no more back seats!!

Remember the meeting of old friends and finding out who were the new ones and those that did not make it (the whys and where they when) rumours, then the talk of the just passed holidays, trips, etc.

Of course those that had to take an airplane to get to the school had a more agitated time not because of the trip but because you did not want to forget anything, clothe, sweets, presents, toys, new pens ( Parker ball points).

God Bless

Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listado: C63 .xls
Photos: Jerry Bain, Just hangin out
DSC00103 msb M Lew (front of the main church)
Column: 021222 wvb The carols and the waif (it is late but I can only send what I have on hand).
These columns have been published in a newspaper and were sent by the authors for distribuition to you. I need new articles.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTACHMENTS

Listado c63.xls

Names Form V Contact nicknames business address business phone e-mail
Serrano, Antonio
roger Small world


Serrano, Miguel
roger



Serrette, Irwin 1959




Serrette, Owen
roge
Seminarian

Shaeffer, Glenn
cosca
TT

Sheppard, Paul
jgioannetti



Shoul, Conrad


St.Johns, Antigua
Shoul, Ian P.A.


Antigua

Shoul, Stephen
Don


shoulsb@candw.ag
Siklosi, Tomas L.
glen
YV

Silva, Juan Luis
cosca
YV rio caribe

Silva, Luis





Singh Wong 1967

TT

Skinner, John

Slim Derby, Uk

Slinger, Paul


Grenada

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

COPY PRINT AND POST said...

I am an old boy of the abbey school also and I was there from 73to 77. Looking at your site si nice to know that someone out there is keeping it alive.

My name is David Johnson and have been living in in the Toronto area for the last 20 years. I just purchsed a business here and totally ketchin my @#*.

Please keep in touch

David J