Saturday, March 01, 2003

Circular No 69



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 1 of March 2003. Circular No. 69
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

A short note from a well remembered friend and teacher who is the Principal of Trinity College. I have been trying to send mail to the address but 90% of the time it bounces back because the box is full. So keep insisting if you want to contact him!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Llewellyn Mac Intosh. trincoll@tstt.net.tt
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:48:26 AST4

Hi, Let me introduce myself.

The name is Llewellyn Mac Intosh. I taught at the Abbey School from 1969 to 1984.

I have been receiving these Circulars ever since I met John Gioannetti the other day. I think that this is all a great idea. In fact, I was very surprised to see my photograph in a previous circular, about one month ago. It was very interesting, because standing right behind me in the photo was Colm Imbert who in now the Minister of Health in Trinidad & Tobago. (If some one would help in getting these circular to him, it would be a great idea). I am writing because I do recognise some of the guys in the current photo. Do not remember all of the names though. I am sure of the following:

No.7 Campbell. I do not remember his first name a bright and quiet guy. At one time he ran a tyre shop on Charlotte street, POS.
No. 11 Paschal Barath. He was quite a character!
No. 2 Glen Mc Coy. He also had a brother at Abbey. I met the brother, Hudson, a few months ago at Piarco. They were both very good musicians.

Sorry I do not remember any others.

How are things in Venezuela? I hope that you and your relatives are safe and okay.

Llewellyn Mac Intosh
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone help with the class photo and the “kids” mentioned by Llewellyn???
I am sure they would appreciate it!!!.

And to answer his question about Venezuela, please click on www.orlandourdaneta.com, and go to a summary on our situation in ENGLISH/FRENCH/ITALIAN by Orlando Urdaneta, one of the opposition. You must have read diverse articles on our polemic situation so this one is one more and might help out in understanding the Venezuelan situation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my last circular, I mentioned Wayne Brown´s article on P.G. Wilson. Here are some additions to the WEB article that might give further the information to a possible biographer. It is about a visit to the U.S. in 1965 by P.G. to assist to workshop on coaching skills.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am glad to have received from Robert Huggins the following note.

Las,

I don't know if you know, but PG as he was fondly know, went on to complete his PhD in Sports training many years later. He then worked with the Government of Trinidad and Tobago as a Coach. (Also had a programme on TV, can anyone remember seeing it?) PG passed away some years ago at a ripe old age. (75) Can't remember how old, but some of the other past students might remember.
Robert.
--------------------
In this circular I am going to narrate my part in PG Wilson´s curriculum vitae.
At the bottom of the photo that I have included, the dedication was signed in 1965.
My graduation year from MSB, Form V, was in December 1960.
This personalized dedicated photo was given to me during my last year by PG in Washington D.C., where I attended and graduated at the Catholic University of America. He stayed a couple of days there before going to a scholarship somewhere in the US, I do not remember those details but I do remember the bottle of good Fernandes rum he gave me and the photo that I still keep.
At that time I was in the swimming team of the university, when I noticed that scholarships were given to foreign coaches with good records. I made a comment to my swimming coach on PG.

Again by fortune I had kept communications through post cards with PG after I left the Mount, so I asked PG for his curriculum, which by the way he sent in hand writing, next I had to rewrite it in my portable typing machine. I am sorry that I did not keep the memorabilia of his hand writing and letters.

He was accepted and I met him in a Hotel next to the University after he had arrived, he was very excited and I presume all went well.

From the above note he got the opportunity the he deserved and placed him in the position to continue to help others as he had done with us, thank God. I have still have fond remembrances of his person and coaching, since I was in track and field team at MSB, remembered mainly for throwing Discus and Javelin.

I lost contact with him after that, as I left the US in July 1965 for Venezuela and started to work in an area where communications was not the best, and all I remember is that someone told me later that he had a TV programme in Trinidad.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is sad but there has been only two lengthy articles, one on Fr. Benedict and the other on PG Wilson, none on Bro. Vincent!!. Need authors!!!!.

God Bless

Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listado: C69.xls, with this I have finished the list that I have. The next group is going to start with the letter A. [List not available.]
Photo: 021027 Jgioanetti class no. this is the photo that is mentioned.
P.G.Wilson 2 ok
Column: wvb - No column has been received.
Column: dbratt –No column received.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0(212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number.
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: 58 (0416) 612.5695
ICQ# 158597413
Remember that Venezuela’s time is the same as Trinidad’s, -04:00 GMT.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATTACHMENTS

Listado C69.xls
Names Form V Contact nickname business address Phone e-mail
Wyke, Leopold
roger



Xavier 1958 maurice



Xavier, Arthur
farcheg



Xavier, Edward
roger



Xavier, Geoffrey
roger



Xavier, Jeffrey
roger



Yip Chuck (RIP) Chemistry Teacher



Yuris, Atila 1968




Zanella, Antonio
cosca
YV barinas ccs

Zanelli, Enrique
coscarart
YV ccs

Zeven, Paul
don
Hollland

Zschaech, Ricardo


Venezuela


No comments: