Saturday, June 14, 2003

Circular No 84




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 14 of June 2003. Circular No.84
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Here is an article that I found in the internet, please weight it, and comment.

October Water Shock

BACK in the Abbey School, one of the half-dozen or so secondary schools I went to and was expelled/suspended from, I had a Canadian partner named Mark Newcombe. Predictably - given that we were all aged 16 or 17 - in school, Mark Newcombe was called Stain Stalespunk; which is reason enough to remember him but he comes to mind - so to speak - now because of something he wrote for the school magazine.

Honesty forces me to admit the Abbey School magazine was barely deserving of the name. It comprised about four cyclo-styled legal-sized pages folded in half and stapled in approximately the middle; and they were so badly blurred that to attempt to read more than three lines without resting the eyes was to get a certain migraine headache and a possible brain tumour; not unlike this shiretrit, come to think of it.

The Abbey School magazine was edited by Llewellyn MacIntosh, the calypsonian Short Pants, if memory serves - though, of course, this could be yet another instance where it double-faults - and Mackie (as he was known before dropping his long name in favour of his short pants) had asked Mark to write a 500-word piece on a foreigner's impressions of Trinidad. I can't remember his other 480-odd words - this was 1975, mind, and a lot of rum-and-water has flowed under this bridge since that time. but, as long as we have weekends like the last one, I shall never forget Mark's first sentence: "the Government of Trinidad and Tobago has developed an admirable plan to remind its citizens of its past: its past without electricity or pipe-borne water."

BC Pires is as high as a pseudo kite. You can email your zwill to him at bc@skettel.com
--------------------------------------------------------
From the above, you can imagine him in the basketball court, running around with his friends just as we used to do, even if we were a couple of years apart. I have tried to contact him but no response, maybe the message got lost in the internet.

The rest of the article is about TT in the 2000s, so I have left it out, but of couse if he authorizes it I can include it as a column in the future!
--------------------------------------------------------
From: Derek Tempro <dtempro@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed Feb 5 18:29:25 2003 (PST)

Hi Laszlo,
I never went to Mt. St. Benedict's but got on to you mailing list because you wanted to get in touch with Stephen Tempro (I am his cousin). I do enjoy receiving your weekly update because I know many of the people on your list, Nigel Darwent, Nigel Boos, etc.

Unfortunately I have not seen Steve for many years (I now live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada), and although I try to visit T'dad at least once every 3 years, Steve moved to Barbados and I very seldom get there.
Derek Tempro.
--------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Derek for your email, I have included it as I am sure some of my readers would want to contact you. Ed.
---------------------------------------------------------
I have included a photo of Peter Quesnel, this was taken from the TTMA.
He is a director of Trinidad and Tobago Manufacturers Association. Ed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
From: Gene Shoul <gene@candw.ag>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 14:34:30 -0400

Change of e-mail address - it is now shoulsb@candw.ag
-------------------------------------------------------------
From: O'Connor <eion@accesswave.ca>
Date: 15 Apr 17:05 (PDT)

Dear Friends,
Art Knaggs my good friend and neighbor here in Halifax, Nova Scotia gave me a copy of # 71 yesterday. Nostalgic memories of 2nd Mt. St. Benedict scouting by Nigel.

Thought I could help with identifying faces in the photos.

Photo 1
1. Charles Deveaux (St. Lucia)?
2. Richard Anderson?
3. Maurice Bishop?
4. Joe Azar Jr.
5. Wayne O'Connor
6. Towsie Ferriera (Guyana)?

Photo 2
1. Jeff Gransaull
2.?
3. Johnny Abraham
4. Ronald Marchock
5. Russell Coon How
6. Richard Anderson
7. Richard deVerteuil.

Photo 3 - You've got it right.

I've a box - tucked away somewhere - with scouting photos ripped-off from the dark room. Caura camps, PTA basketball court displays, plays - Swan Lake; others I'd be delighted to share - probably 12 - 24 in all.

This is great stuff; put me on your mailing list and forward back issues if you can.
Regards,
Eion O'Connor (Rab)- Jan 61 to July 68.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Those that were Scouts please look up the photos in Circular No. 71 and check your friends!!!!

I am a little behind with the circulars so this is being sent today instead of last week, hope to get back on track by tomorrow!!! I am sure that with your help I can produce some more.

God Bless

Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------
Listado: C84.xls
Photo: GCE o level Mathematics
Peter Quesnel
ST_BENEDICT_03
Wayne Vincent Brown's column can be seen at www.Jamaicaobserver.com,
Column: dbratt -no column received.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to be in the circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
Telf. 0(212) 263.5346 Caracas.

Use Lkertesz2@icqmail.com for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number.

For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: 58 (0416) 612.5696
ICQ# 158597413
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATTACHMENTS
Listado C84.xls
Names Form V Contact nicknames business address Phone e-mail
De Castro, David
boos
US, Florida

De Castro, Delano
boos



De Chene, Andres Eduardo glen
YV (0212) 266 2125 adechene_m@hotmail.com
De Chene, Carlos Enrique
glen
YV (0212) 284 8658 dechenecarlos@hotmail.com
De Freitas, Cornel





De Freitas, David
roge
UK Dayboy
De Freitas, Michael
roge

Dayboy
De Freitas, Stanley
roge



De Gale, Leo





De Gale, Roger
roge
UK (868) 622 5478
De Gale, Steven
roger Goofy UK

De Gannes, Christopher
roge
TT

De Gannes, Richard
roge



De Gannes, Roger
roge
US




No comments: